16.3.08

See these lines ? : truly disappointed.

So some of you may have heard me complain about the bane of my existence that is my "essay and the argument" bullshit excuse of a liberal studies course. It is obviously a fucking mandatory credit as a way for my school to deal with the large number of ESL students who cannot write for shit. I understand, as a person who speaks more than one language, that studying course material in any language that is not your first is challenging and I respect their drive and in most cases how well they do with it. But why the fuck do i need to be subjected to the same painful crap that they do. I'm sorry, but we are simply not on the same level in that respect. I'm not an english major, and i'm certainly not a writer. In fact, I really do despise writing (especially essays) with all of my being. Having said that-I'm a reasonably intelligent and literate person and i'm capable of writing well enough. With no marks back from my teacher i found myself curious as to how the other students in the class wrote and how i would compare with them. Then the other day someone next to me had left their essay on their desk, and my eyes just to happened to wander:

"Hip Hop has become a very important culture for many social age classes. It allow people to connect together not only by the way of it's dance moves goes, but also the clothing style, music and style of movement it influence people to become."

WTF. Are you kidding me?! Despite the grammatical errors that i'm pretty confident most word processing programs would catch, it just really doesn't make sense. I don't understand what they are really even talking about. I also don't understand how someone can write that way in a UNIVERSITY level english class and be passing. And i really don't think they happen to be one of the bottom students. I'm pretty sure they are quite on par with the rest of the class. No one in my class even knew what a contraction was! I'm obviously in a crap mood tonight. Everyday I find new and unique ways in which to be disappointed by the human race.

No comments: