15.2.08

When it's time to party...

The last two nights i've actually been doing things which is slightly out of character for me. Wednesday was the Trapped in the closet screening at the royal-an event i had been excited for since the idea surfaced-even when i thought that michelle and I would probably be the only ones who would show up. How wrong we were! I'm really glad at the turn out and the overall involvement of the crowd. The cheering, the floating condoms, the dart guns, the tall tees! I can easily see this turning into a cult like phenomenon with rocky horror like characteristics. A huge thank you to Michelle and Mark for making my wildest dreams come true-especially michelle who sort of let me steal my new favourite pin.

Also, i cannot wait to try out the Trapped in the closet drinking game. Yesterday was, of course, valentines and i went out to dinner with my parents. I actually miss them all the time. We went to pages afterwards, where my Dad bought me "The world won't listen". The Smiths reference obviously caught my attention and i was surprised i had never seen/heard of this book before. Essentially, a photographer by the name of Phil Collins (no, not that one) creates videos and photographs of people in places marked by political, social, and cultural turmoil and change. This book is from a three-part video installation, where he posted flyers, went on radio and TV to invite participants to come and perform karaoke versions of songs from 'The world won't Listen'. The majority of the book is photographs but I really enjoy the text that is in it. The book itself is also 'rather swank'.
Inside front and back covers




After that i walked to manic where i was reminded by every person on college carrying flowers (everyone) or making out (everyone else) that it was valentines day-but felt much better after receiving a novelty "babe camp" sleeve for my americano (which i meant to keep but ended up throwing out by accident) Soon afterwards i was convinced to go see Andrew W.K-and i'm glad that i did. He performed a solo set (which was simply his songs being played over the speakers and him singing) At any point during the set there were at least 100 people on stage and multiple microphones. Although I was disappointed at the lack of headwalking/stage dives that i was promised I do feel as though i got my $10 worth of entertainment and head banging in. This entry feels very sporadic to me (but that could also be because i myself feel very sporadic)? I need to sleep more i think.

No comments: